Sunday, October 31, 2004

Happy Halloween and Reformation Day

Today is Halloween. My 3 year old Jonas is soooo looking forward to trick-or-treating. He's dressing up like Darth Vader (oh my pride and joy lies in the fact that I've passed along a love of Star Wars to my son), and I'm gonna be Yoda. I'm Crazy Tall Yoda Man- now give me some candy!!!

Today is also Reformation Day- a day in the life of the church where traditionally the protestant reformation is remembered. Reformation Day is the anniversary of the act that began the movement in 1517 — Martin Luther's nailing of the manuscript of his 95 theses to the door of the palace church in Wittenberg, Germany.

To the church of today I invite us to reflect on how God through Spirit is always moving through the Body of Christ to continually "reform" and reshape itself. Let reformation not divide, tear apart, nor bring any form of violence toward another. But today allow reformation to breathe life, creativity, love, hope, and unity (even when we disagree theologically and doctrinally) into the Body of Christ.

That's all for now.... I'm off to sneak a snickers out of Jonas's halloween pumpkin :)

No comments: