Friday, December 16, 2005

THE ADVENT CHRONICLES



Too alarming now to talk about
Take your pictures down and shake it out
Truth or consequence, say it aloud
Use that evidence, race it around
There goes my hero
Watch him as he goes
There goes my hero
He’s ordinary
Don’t the best of them bleed it out
While the rest of them peter out
Truth or consequence, say it aloud
Use that evidence, race it around
There goes my hero
Watch him as he goes
There goes my hero
He’s ordinary
Kudos my hero leaving all the best
You know my hero, the one that’s on
There goes my hero
Watch him as he goes
There goes my hero
He’s ordinary

"There Goes My Hero"- The Foo Fighters

Funny, how the Advent Gospel narratives have so much "hero" imagery in it. Mary receives the news of the miraculous birth that she is to have and she immediately heads to her "hero's" home- Elizabeth. A couple of weeks ago we hear of one of Jesus' "heroes"- John the Baptist, who is not only kinfolk but apparently thought by some to have been a mentor to Jesus. Who are the ordinary heroes/mentors that have come before us that have paved the way for our faith to grow?

wanna hear the song sung with special guest and one of my fav heroes (in a twisted me sort of way)? click here

1 comment:

Eric Lee said...

I love Jack Black. That was great. I saw Tenacious D a couple years ago... man, that was crude, but even more hilarious.

Oh yeah but *ehem* Jesus. I dig him.

My mentors? John Fischer, my Pastor, numerous authors, my friends at my local congregation, and those out on the streets that humble me and show me where Christ really is.

Peace,

Eric