Friday, July 08, 2005

GOOD VERSUS EVIL or THE STORY OF THE GOO'VIL EMPIRE


There's an interesting discussion going on at Thunder Jones' blog. In his post, "How Understanding Dictates Action, Thunder questions our understanding of Bush's response to terrorism. After reading the comments, I just had to throw my 2cents in.

After I finished posting I decided to post my response here- it's a discussion that is worthy of talking about. In this day and age our roles as both Christians and citizens of the most powerful country in the world must be defined and held in tension. So here was my post and I invite critiques and discussion. I admit that I am not well informed on US policy as much as I am shaped by my theological positions.

From my comments at Thunder's Blog:

Is it[the war on terrorism] a matter of good guys versus bad guys? Of course it is- the only problem is- for us- we're obviously the good guys and the fundamentalist muslims are the bad guys- and for the fundie extremists in the mid east it's us who are the bad guys.

For me the question becomes how do we as a country respond to this "evil"?

Is it wrong for a country to defend itself through the use of force? Well, no, because that's what countries do- when attacked, a country protects itself.

Should a Christian use violence or condone the use of violence? I don't believe that Christian practice- including pacifism- is something that can be universalized- it is a unique practice for a unique group of people (Christians) within their communities of faith.

I do believe that becuase of our unique practices-
1. Christians have a duty to their faith above politics and national identity not to do harm to anyone, therefore to not participate in any form of violence. (Where does Jesus' teachings condone the use of violence and force?)

2. Christians ought to be living examples of the Kingdom of God NOW. In the midst of a broken and fallen world- God's hope for the future is lived out through God's people- US (us being Christians, not US being the United States). How do others know the difference between good and evil unless we strive to live "GOOD" and right, even when faced with evil and harm?

So, does Bush respond as a Christian who is president or President who is Christian?

I have my opinion on the matter which I believe holds a tension between being faithful to God and God's community (The Church) and being a "good" and faithful citizen of a country.

No comments: