Friday, July 22, 2005

SoulFeast and the Day After


I haven't posted this week because I was part of the leadership staff for SOULfeast, a spiritual formation conference for families hosted by Upper Room, held at Lake Junaluska. I had a terrific time. I was part of the youth ministry team. My role was to lead a pilgrimage into Ashville, NC with the youth and then lead a couple of the youth sessions.

So on Tue. we went on a pilgrimage into Ashville and split the youth into 3 groups. Each group was given a disposable camera and given the task of finding God in the ordinary places of life and take a picture of that.

On Wed. we talked about Jacob travelling on pilgrimage and how at a very ordinary place he experienced the presence of God and gave that place a new name- Bethel.

On Thur. we ended the youth time with a contemplative worship experience with various prayer stations. All in all it was a wonderful week.

A few personal blessings came out of the week for me:
1. Jen, Jonas and Abby got to come along and be a part of the week. It was great for once to lead an event and my family be there too.

2. The highlight spiritually for me was walking the labyrinth, an ancient form of praying using a circular path, at Lake Junaluska and introducing it to my 3 year old son. Together we walked it and when we got the middle we sat together and he said the Lord's Prayer. It was a beautiful moment for me. In fact after we walked it he wanted to do it again. So the second time we walked it Jen and Abby came too.

3. I found time some much needed quiet time.

Upon returning I decided that today I'd walk the labyrinth here in town at Scarritt Bennitt. Once again it became a wonderful and quiet moment for me to bring some concerns that I'm having before God. I think I'll do it more often- hopefully once a week.

And I'm gonna try and take Jonas with me at least once a month. My friend Kara Oliver was also one of the youth leaders at SOULfeast. Check out her blog to read her reflections on SOULfeast.

No comments: