Monday, March 14, 2005

COME IN HOSPITALITY LEAVE IN PEACE

STORY FROM THE DESERT
A brother came to see a certain hermit and, as he was leaving, he said,"Forgive me abba for preventing you from keeping your rule." The hermit replied, "My rule is to welcome you with hospitality and to send you away inpeace."

MY STORY
As I’ve grown older in my youth ministry I’ve shifted some of my thoughts about why I do what I do. Providing young people a place where they are accepted and can feel a sense of “holy rest” in the presence of loving adults and other young people seems to be a strong motivation. In this fast paced, over-committed society we all need places of “Holy Rest”- a place to simply sit in the presence of God.
I recently spent an entire day with 17 of my church’s 6th grade confirmation class. One of the exercises was to sit in silence listening for God’s voice, and to listen for God’s words to each of us through reading scripture meditatively. It was amazing when this rambunctious group settled in and became very receptive to God’s quiet spirit. Many came to me later and said the experience was cool and really peaceful. My rule was to welcome them with hospitality and send them away with a word from God and in peace.

No comments: