Wednesday, March 28, 2007

MORNING PRAYER


I'm not sure if I shared on the blog or not but at the beginning of the new year I and a few members here at Hermitage UMC started a Wed. morning contemplative prayer group. Every wed. morning at 9am we come together and pray the psalms, I lead lectio divina reading of scripture, and we lift up prayers of joy and concern. It has been a real blessing. I have used The Divine Hours as the main liturgical source, but also have drawn from the book of common prayer, and pray-as-you-go.

Here is this weeks' prayer that we just got finished with:

Wednesday, March 28 The Morning Office To Be Observed on the Hour or Half Hour Between 6 and 9 a.m. Wednesday, Fifth Week of Lent
The Call to Prayer (leader)
Bless our God, you peoples;* make the voice of his praise to be heard; Who holds our souls in life,* and will not allow our feet to slip.
Psalm 66:7–8

The Request for Presence (all together)
Come to me speedily, O God. You are my helper and my deliverer;* LORD, do not tarry.
Psalm 70:5–6

The Greeting (all together)
You are my hope, O Lord GOD,* my confidence since I was young. I have been sustained by you ever since I was born; from my mother’s womb you have been my strength;* my praise shall be always of you.
Psalm 71:5–6

The Refrain for the Morning Lessons (all together)
“Be still, then, and know that I am God;* I will be exalted among the nations; I will be exalted in the earth.”
Psalm 46:11

A Reading (leader)
After saying these things, Jesus headed straight up to Jerusalem. When he got near Bethphage and Bethany at the mountain called Olives, he sent off two of the disciples with instructions: "Go to the village across from you. As soon as you enter, you'll find a colt tethered, one that has never been ridden. Untie it and bring it. If anyone says anything, asks, 'What are you doing?' say, 'His Master needs him.'"
The two left and found it just as he said. As they were untying the colt, its owners said, "What are you doing untying the colt?" They said, "His Master needs him."
They brought the colt to Jesus. Then, throwing their coats on its back, they helped Jesus get on. As he rode, the people gave him a grand welcome, throwing their coats on the street.
Right at the crest, where Mount Olives begins its descent, the whole crowd of disciples burst into enthusiastic praise over all the mighty works they had witnessed:

Blessed is he who comes,
the king in God's name!
All's well in heaven!
Glory in the high places!

Some Pharisees from the crowd told him, "Teacher, get your disciples under control!" But he said, "If they kept quiet, the stones would do it for them, shouting praise."
Another said, ‘I will follow you, sir, but first let me go and say good-bye to my people at home.’ Jesus said to him, ‘Once the hand is laid on the plow, no one who looks back is fit for the kingdom of God.’ -Luke 9:61–62

The Refrain (all together)
“Be still, then, and know that I am God;* I will be exalted among the nations; I will be exalted in the earth.”

The Morning Psalm- Psalm 90:1–8, 12 (in the round)

A Thousand Years Are Like a Watch in the Night
Lord, you have been our refuge* from one generation to another.
Before the mountains were brought forth, or the land and the earth were born,* from age to age you are God.
You turn us back to the dust and say,* “Go back, O child of earth.”
For a thousand years in your sight are like yesterday when it is past* and like a watch in the night.
You sweep us away like a dream;* we fade away suddenly like the grass.
In the morning it is green and flourishes;* in the evening it is dried up and withered.
For we consume away in your displeasure;* we are afraid because of your wrathful indignation.
Our iniquities you have set before you,* and our secret sins in the light of your countenance.
So teach us to number our days* that we may apply our hearts to wisdom.
A Thousand Years Are Like a Watch in the Night

The Refrain (all together)
“Be still, then, and know that I am God;* I will be exalted among the nations; I will be exalted in the earth.”

The Small Verse (leader)
The Son of Man shall be delivered over to the Gentiles, to be mocked and scourged and crucified.

Prayers of Joy and Concern
The Lord’s Prayer
The Prayer Appointed for the Week (leader)
Almighty God, whose blessed Son was led by the Spirit to be tempted by Satan: Come quickly to help us who are assaulted by many temptations; and, as you know the weaknesses of each of us, let each one find you mighty to save; through Jesus Christ your Son our Lord, who lives and reigns with you and the Holy Spirit, one God, now and for ever. Amen. †

The Concluding Prayer of the Church (all together)
Lord God, almighty and everlasting Father, you have brought me in safety to this new day: Preserve me with your mighty power, that I may not fall into sin, nor be overcome by adversity; and in all I do direct me to the fulfilling of your purpose; through Jesus Christ my Lord. Amen. †

No comments: