Thursday, May 12, 2005

Experiencing Pentecost


Acts 2: 1-4
When the day of Pentecost had come, they were all together in one place. 2And suddenly from heaven there came a sound like the rush of a violent wind, and it filled the entire house where they were sitting. 3Divided tongues, as of fire, appeared among them, and a tongue rested on each of them. 4All of them were filled with the Holy Spirit and began to speak in other languages, as the Spirit gave them ability.

I've been feeling really pulled this week- in a million directions. I have a writing project deadline on Sunday, summer events to get nailed down for the youth group, a large mailing to get finished, the usual weekly youth activities, and then summer class starts next week along with the Emergent Convention. I'm running out of breath just typing this.

So needless to say, and unfortunately for me, I have let me daily prayer times go to the wayside this week (and I can tell). But just a few minutes ago, I stopped and read the passage above. And as I listened the phrase that jumped out was "RESTED ON EACH OF THEM". I let it sit and soak into my heart. And I realized in the moment, "I am ONE OF THEM".

This became at first a peaceful moment, an "ahhhh" feeling. Now I'm thinking wow, the Holy Spirit is resting upon me- THAT'S AMAZING!!! I am ministering and serving through God's grace even in these mundane activites. I don' t even have words right now to describe what's going through my heart and mind. But I wanted to share it.

A PRAYER TO THE HOLY SPIRIT
O Great Spirit,
whose breath gives life to the world, and whose voice is heard in the soft breeze:
We need your strength and wisdom. Cause us to walk in beauty. Give us eyes
ever to behold the red and purple sunset. Make us wise so that we may understand
what you have taught us. Help us learn the lessons you have hidden in
every leaf and rock. Make us always ready to come to you with clean hands
and steady eyes, so when life fades, like the fading sunset, our spirits may come to you without shame. Amen. UMH 329 (Native American Prayer)

shalom

1 comment:

Ciona said...

Lovely offering about the Holy Spirit! Have a peaceful sabatical. And good luck on your writing . . . I'm plugging away, too, for a Monday deadline!