Friday, May 06, 2005

Is the Emerging Church Bourgeois?

Bourgeois: a member of the middle class whose interest is to preserve the status quo.


I'm quickly becoming a fan of Jamie Smith. I referred to his blog in my last post and now I'm referencing him again. I came across an article that he wrote entitled: “The Economics of the Emerging Church" This is a great read and he raises some wonderful questions about the Emerging Church movement. I know there has been discussion about the lack of diversity within the movement and this article definitely speaks to the socio-economic factor that plays into it.

In his article Jamie asks the question: "How bourgeois is the emerging church?”

click here to read the entire article

4 comments:

Jonathon said...

The fact that you are a part of the discussion is a testament that emergent can be a movement for a diverse range of folks.

as someone who grew up and continues to live in an ethnically and socio-economically diverse neighborhood this is an area of extreme interest and importance to me. no easy answers here- but the cool thing about the emergent movement is that it is rooted in a missional ecclesiology. so i think the form it takes depends on the culture and context it comes out of.

thanks for the conversation.

Jonathon said...

ps

i don't see many people period reading john milbank.

emergent might have a better ecclesiological understanding of itself if more folks who are on board w/the movement read the likes of milbank, hauerwas, yoder, etc...

i'm loving the conversations brother.

jn

John said...

I can't get a handle on exactly what is the emergent church. As far as I can tell, it's either a particular flavor of pop Christianity, or a blending of evangelicism and mysticism.

Jonathon said...

We have to meet face to face at some point and hang out. Email me your IM if you use instant messenger. StPhransus@hotmail.com

That's an awesome story!