Thursday, August 25, 2005

A WEEK WITH HAUERWAS, day 4


Hauerwas on spirituality and disciplines

I gave up on the language of spirituality because the assholes got it. Spirituality became a way to talk about a universal need that we all have that can be expressed through any religion some way or the other. This kind of individualistic, getting-myself-right with the powers of the world, I’m not sympathetic toward it. I am very sympathetic toward exercises that have been well explored through centuries of Christian practice that are now embodied in wise people that can teach you how to go on. But, never forget, the Devil’s a spirit and the Devil can appear as a spirit of discernment, and so you have to be very careful with that. I wouldn’t want to be among the proponents of spirituality today. I’m more than willing, though, to talk about prayer, fasting, obedience, silence. I regard spirituality as learning how to talk. What that means is not being afraid of your “first order” religious convictions, and that you can just say it. The Psalms are “first order” religious convictions, so I take a lot of comfort from the Psalms.

Day 3

Day 2

Day 1

4 comments:

Lenny Anderson said...

Love the first comment. I would add that there truly is no such thing as "spirituality" or anything "spiritual" unless it originates and is directed by the Holy Spirit.

John said...

He didn't pull any punches, did he?

But in a nutshell, he really pins the problem with spiritualism.

By the same token, I often refer to myself as a traditionalist Christain rather than a conservative one because the a-holes who couldn't get a share of "spiritualism" seem to have taken over "conservatism" instead.

Jonathon said...

John,
I think we're kindred spirits.

shalom bro,

jn

Jonathon said...

I cannot even begin to speak for Dr. Hauerwas although I can speculate that he might address your issue by saying that neither the fundamentalists get it with their pharisaical form of Christianity or the kind of faith that does not feel it can be expressed by the particular language and way of life that Christianity offers.

When one claims to be spiritual but not neccessarily religious one perhaps runs the risk of giving up the particular practices, particular "way of life" that comes with following Christ and Christ's community.

Both of these (the fundies and the "spiritual but not religious") perhaps fall into the same falicy of seeing faith as individualistic and not communal. But ultimately for Hauerwas following Christ means being part of a Community that embodies a certain set of practices that are tied to a tradition (the Church).

thanks for your thoughts, much to chew on and process.

shalom,
jonathon