Wednesday, February 21, 2007

ASH WED @ HUMC


Tonight we had a really good Ash Wed. service. We had a pretty packed sanctuary, with at least 40-50 youth making up part of it. I reserved a couple of pews so that the youth could all sit together and then after they sat down I handed all of them a journal page I prepared earlier today that talked about Ash Wed. and Lent and gave them a place to reflect on the season, and what they'd like to give up/take on if they chose. I knew that quite a few of the youth would not really have a strong grasp of what Lent is, so I hope the journal page helped.
It was really meaningful and powerful to watch members of the congregation go and receive the imposition of ashes. As I watched youth return to their seat with the cross on their heads I couldn't help but feel an overwhelming love for them.

No comments: