Monday, February 26, 2007

MAKING SPACE....

In some circles of conversation that relates to emerging church communities/postmodern church, etc.. the talk is in "either or" language. For example: "the modern church has come to pass but someone forgot to tell it"; or "the postmodern/emerging church is the present and future"...

I of course am making a very broad generalization here. But what I would say is that this kind of thinking does not represent those of us who are interested in the emerging church conversation and do indeed feel that there has been a cultural shift abound that the church should be concerned with. The reality we are living in, I believe, is closer to a transition time- a time between what has been and what is to come (now that sounds pretty eschatological doesn't it?), somewhere between modernism and postmodernism.

I think a lot of my frustration with the church (especially the methodist tribe) comes out of my leaning to a more postmodern paradigm while most of the structures and leadership tend to lean towards modernism. On my best days I find humor at the misunderstands, lack of language we have. On my "not so best days" I feel like a "puppy who has invaded the world of the alpha cat":



ever feel that way?

4 comments:

DogBlogger said...

Dude, that's been my day so far...

gavin richardson said...

no cats are allowed in my domain. it was a mean right hook i must say.

John said...

Here at Asbury, postmodernism is repeatedly taught as a basic assumption. "Well of course the modern world is gone and the future will be postmodern." This causes quite a backlash among students who are not willing to toss out modernism wholly.

Jonathon said...

i think its a little unfair to totally dismiss modernism especially when modernism is alive and well living alongside pomo'ism.