Wednesday, April 18, 2007

Wed. Morning Prayer

Wednesday, April 18
The Morning Office To Be Observed on the Hour or Half Hour Between 6 and 9 a.m.

The Call to Prayer
The LORD is near to those who call upon him,* to all who call upon him faithfully. He fulfills the desire of those who fear him;* he hears their cry and helps them. The LORD preserves all those who love him,* but he destroys all the wicked.
Psalm 145:19–21
The Request for Presence
Not to us, O LORD, not to us,* but to your Name give glory; because of your love and because of your faithfulness.
Psalm 115:1

The Greeting
Your love, O LORD, reaches to the heavens,* and your faithfulness to the clouds.
Psalm 36:5
The Refrain for the Morning Lessons
I will exalt you, O God my King,* and bless your Name for ever and ever.
Psalm 145:1
A Reading
After this, Jesus appeared again to the disciples, this time at the Tiberias Sea (the Sea of Galilee). This is how he did it: Simon Peter, Thomas (nicknamed "Twin"), Nathanael from Cana in Galilee, the brothers Zebedee, and two other disciples were together.

Simon Peter announced, "I'm going fishing." The rest of them replied, "We're going with you." They went out and got in the boat. They caught nothing that night. When the sun came up, Jesus was standing on the beach, but they didn't recognize him.

Jesus spoke to them: "Good morning! Did you catch anything for breakfast?" They answered, "No." He said, "Throw the net off the right side of the boat and see what happens." They did what he said. All of a sudden there were so many fish in it, they weren't strong enough to pull it in. Then the disciple Jesus loved said to Peter, "It's the Master!"

When Simon Peter realized that it was the Master, he threw on some clothes, for he was stripped for work, and dove into the sea. The other disciples came in by boat for they weren't far from land, a hundred yards or so, pulling along the net full of fish. When they got out of the boat, they saw a fire laid, with fish and bread cooking on it.

Jesus said, "Bring some of the fish you've just caught." Simon Peter joined them and pulled the net to shore—153 big fish! And even with all those fish, the net didn't rip. Jesus said, "Breakfast is ready." Not one of the disciples dared ask, "Who are you?" They knew it was the Master. Jesus then took the bread and gave it to them. He did the same with the fish. This was now the third time Jesus had shown himself alive to the disciples since being raised from the dead.
John 21: 1-14

The Refrain
I will exalt you, O God my King,* and bless your Name for ever and ever.

The Morning Psalm
I will give thanks to you, O LORD, with my whole heart;*
before the gods I will sing your praise.
I will bow down toward your holy temple and praise your Name,*
because of your love and faithfulness;
For you have glorified your Name*
and your word above all things.
When I called, you answered me;*
you increased my strength within me.
All the kings of the earth will praise you, O LORD,*
when they have heard the words of your mouth.
They will sing of the ways of the LORD,*
that great is the glory of the LORD.
Though the LORD be high, he cares for the lowly;*
he perceives the haughty from afar.
Though I walk in the midst of trouble, you keep me safe;*
you stretch forth your hand against the fury of my enemies;
your right hand shall save me.
The LORD will make good his purpose for me;*
O LORD, your love endures for ever; do not abandon the works of your hands.
Psalm 138
The Refrain
I will exalt you, O God my King,* and bless your Name for ever and ever.

The Cry of the Church
O God, come to my assistance! O Lord, make haste to help me!

The Lord’s Prayer

The Prayer Appointed for the Week
Almighty God, you have surrounded me with a great cloud of witnesses: Grant that I too may persevere in running the race that is set before me, until at last I may with him attain to your eternal joy; through Jesus Christ, the pioneer and perfecter of our faith, who lives and reigns with you and the Holy Spirit, one God, for ever and ever. Amen. †

The Concluding Prayer of the Church
Lord God, almighty and everlasting Father, you have brought me in safety to this new day: Preserve me with your mighty power, that I may not fall into sin, nor be overcome by adversity; and in all I do direct me to the fulfilling of your purpose; through Jesus Christ my Lord. Amen. †


No comments: