Thursday, April 05, 2007

A WEEK WITH... STANLEY HAUERWAS (again) day 4


STANLEY HAUERWAS ON ISLAM, TRUTH AND LIVING FAITHFULLY:


"What right would I have to urge Muslims to be faithful Muslims? I have no idea what it means to be a faithful Muslim. I would certainly hope that Christians might live well enough that we would be a witness to Muslims so they might consider making peace a way of life. Of course Islam can be true for Muslims, but that doesn't imply a relativism about truth. It just means that you cannot control what another tradition says is true. What you must do is try to find a way to understand what they mean by truth. In this respect I've been deeply influenced by Alasdair MacIntyre and his understanding of truth as the best we have done so far."

1 comment:

Jonathan Marlowe said...

Thanks for these comments on Islam. It reminds me how Hauerwas is opposed to tolerance and pluralism.