Wednesday, January 03, 2007

CONGRESS ON EVANGELISM- recapping the day

Wow, what a day today. It seems like so much was packed into such a short amount of time. It was really great to hook up with friends, hear some good lectures and goof off a bit. AND- I don't care what anyone says- Myrtle Beach is a beautiful place (at least it is when I'm looking out my hotel window!!).

So here's a recap of the day and some of the things that I really enjoyed:
MORNING...

After I rolled out of bed and showered I spent some time just looking out my window and remembered what it is that I love about the coast.

Once I got over to the conference Gavo, Jay and I were introduced at the beginning of the large plenary session in relation to "The Internet is Our Parish" and as fellow bloggers (that was pretty cool). Afterwhich, Bishop Scott Jones was introduced and he went on to give the first morning's Denman Lecture.


Jay and RevMom presented their workshop (I would tell you what it was but Gavo and I can't remember- oh well) and while in there what other motley bloggers might I have seen? Beth Quick was sitting in, as was John The Methodist, RevAbi, and Dogblogger.



During workshop time I sat in on Joe Peabody Jr.'s intro to postmodernism and the church which was pretty good stuff, and then listened in a little to Susan Cox Johnson's workshop on the emerging church and Wesley. Susan is one of my BIG HEROS!! MIDDAY...
After lunch Gavo and I presented our workshop- Binary Relationships: Building Community on the Web. It went great!! It was well attended and many great questions were asked. Check out video clips at Rev. Mommy's blog.



ON TO THE EVENING EVENTS...

I went back to my room and said Vespers Prayer...


Then we went to where the real worship was at- THE BIG HOUSE @ Christ UMC. This church meets in the old Crook and Chase Theatre. If I say that it was quite the production- that would be an understatement. This kid friendly congregation's worship is basically The Wiggles meets Bear and the Big Blue House meets Sesame Street Live!! I'll just say that this was definitely NOT HIGH CHURCH CULTURE, and a few times I was a little "yikes" on some of the content, but it was fun, and they did a great job of telling the biblical story in a way that children could understand and engage with (and indeed it worked).




We topped our outing with Captain Jack's Seafood Restaraunt. Yummy stuff. What's with the white bow ties? Oh yeah, RevMom brought them as a spoof on this youth pastor guy who digs wearing nerdy bow ties... go figure.


I got back and was joined by fellow bloggers for a little splish splash fun in the hotel's Lazy River. Props to COE organizers- The Breakers was a great choice of lodging. Anywhere that has a Lazy River and two hot tub jacuzzis gets my stamp o'approval.


Now Gavo and I are wrapping things up for the night and ready for another great day tomorrow.
shalom y'all,
stPhransus

4 comments:

gavin richardson said...

handsome men in those bow-ties

rocksalive777 said...

Saw the first half hour of your presentation. Pretty cool stuff. Have you ever heard of the Assembly of God's The Seven Project? It features a website that hosts blogs, art galleries, an IM, chat rooms, and a massive message board.

A hotel with a lazy river? I'm impressed.

Jonathon said...

i'll have to check it out. thanks for the resource!! shalom brutha man!!

emily said...

crazy hat.. i love lazy rivers. you just have to watch out for gavo not to dunk ya under...